Thursday, September 11, 2008

Funny thing about Chinese names....

A few days ago, I was in the car with Alenna, Arianna and Brandon. Alenna was sitting in her carseat and calling for Arianna. For some reason Alenna was calling Arianna by her Chinese name, Xiao Wen. As Alenna was calling her Arianna was not responding to Alenna at all, so I told Alenna that Arianna was the name that her sister wanted to be called by and that Xiao Wen was her Chinese name. Anyway, I went on to explain to Alenna that her Chinese name was Xiao Yu. When I said that, Alenna said "Xiao Me?" No, I said your Chinese name was Xiao Yu. Alenna again said, "Xiao Me?" I not Arianna! I'm Alenna! I tried several more times to explain it to her, but I don't think she quite got it yet! I will keep trying though.


Follow up on story...The next morning we were in the car again, and the subject came up again about the Chinese names. I was still trying to get Alenna to understand that her name was Xiao Yu. After a few tries, Alenna gets fed up with me, points to Arianna and says "XIAO HER"!!! I just let it drop after that! Needless to say, Alenna is quite the character!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! That's neat that you have that story written down so you will never forget it - priceless! Alenna is such a funny, smart girl. I love her spunkiness. Love, Coral :)

Tricia said...

That cracks me up!!! It reminds me of similar stories and how my girls used to say those funny things too. Very sweet!

Leslie said...

How sweet. Now you've just got to rename the other kids Xiao Bryan, Xiao Brandon & Xiao Annika to complete the confusion!

Carol said...

So funny! Alenna is such a cutie!

Jill said...

Alenna is such a character. I will be praying for her tomorrow with her appt. at the dentist.